This is a traditional Venezuelan dish and one of my childhood comfort foods. It’s also vegan and super easy to make!
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (you can substitute serrano peppers or 1/2 green bell pepper if you want less heat)
- 1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- In a small pot, sautee jalapeno and diced shallot until shallot is tender and translucent.
- Keep heat high, and add black beans and diced tomatoes
- Add lime juice and spices, and stir
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until tomatoes are tender
- Serve with corn chips, cornbread, fresh corn tortillas, or over rice.